Ruth 2:16 “Even pull out some stalks for her from the bundles and leave them for her to pick up, and don’t rebuke her.”
Sometimes God will set you up for a blessing. God can connect you with the right people, the right opened door. Without you even trying to get noticed, God knows how to put a spotlight on you, your business, your talent, skill or your product.
I absolutely LOVE the story of Naomi, Ruth and Boaz. It’s the story in the Bible found in the book of Ruth. Ruth is going through one of the darkest season in her life. But she remains faithful on so many levels. She remains faithful to God, shows extreme kindness in her relationships and consistent with her responsibilities. Ruth shows up for her responsibilities and God allows her to be noticed by the owner, Boaz. Ruth had a great reputation for the kindness she shown to her mother-in-law. The owner, Boaz, was so moved by her kindness and faithfulness, he went out of his way to position her for a blessing. She received special treatment and protection. Boaz gave an order to his employees to leave grain in Ruth’s way so she would see it and be able to harvest it. This special favor and relationship allowed Ruth to experience a greater harvest than what she would have experienced on her own.
God shares this amazing story with us to let us know that He can bring restoration after great loss. God’s desire is for us to have faith that His favor can open incredible doors and change our circumstances.
These three characteristics will open the door for God’s favor:
• Remain faithful to God. Don’t allow your trust in God to slip. Stay anchored to God.
• Remain faithful to your relationships. Even in your darkest seasons find ways to be kind to others and ways to be a blessing to someone else.
• Remain faithful to your responsibilities. Keep doing what God has assigned you to do. Ruth may have been poor, but she was willing to leave the house and go out to find food.
God set Ruth up for a blessing that changed her circumstances and her life forever. There were things left for her on purpose, but she had to be willing to show up and pick them up. Allow your faith in God to increase. Believe that He is a God that will reward you for your faithfulness. Let your heart and mind wander about how God can set you up with favor.
Second Samuel chapter five shares with us the time David was surrounded by his enemies. He was just positioned as king. God called David to lead Israel and bring honor to Him. But there was an entire nation who hated David and definitely did not want him to be king. They sent their entire army to surround him with the intention to wipe him out.
David’s first reaction was not to measure the size of their army with his. He didn’t take inventory of how many weapons he had. He was not assessing whether he could defeat his enemy based on his armies strength or capability. David’s principle, belief, conviction was to seek God first.
“Many people miss their breakthrough because they are seeking their breakthrough rather than seeking the God of the Breakthrough.”
David exercised this principle throughout his life. Every time David seeks God first for direction and instruction, he finds success. This key principle will work in every area of your life. It’s the principle of seeking God first. When we seek God first we are making a statement that we TRUST God. Our decisions and actions reveal what we believe. When we truly believe God has the ability to break through for us, we will seek His council before making a decision or taking an action step.
Seek God first by…
- Going to prayer before your mind is made. Keep an open mind and heart. Ask God what you should do, what action steps to take, ask Him for wisdom, knowledge and clarity of mind. Ask God for His discernment and favor.
- Don’t make major decisions without sensing God’s PEACE first. We can make huge mistakes, deal with regrets and get stuck in life when we make a decision knowing that God never gave us permission. Following the peace of God is like following a compass. You can stay on track with God’s plan for your life when you stay in His peace. After spending time in prayer and you still feel anxious, heavy hearted, fearful, don’t make the decision. Continue in prayer until you sense God’s peace.
- Take several days to seek God in prayer. If it is a major decision that has the potential to alter your life, consider fasting and prayer. Decide on a time period to fast, time in prayer and in God’s Word. You will gain God’s wisdom through His Word. You will have a clear mind and liberty in your spirit by spending time in His presence. Fasting and prayer is a powerful process to see incredible breakthroughs when you fast to seek God.
This is the process of seeking God first rather than seeking the breakthrough. Everyone wants the right outcome, the blessing, the breakthrough. But it can feel like we are chasing the wind, if all we do is seek after the breakthrough. When we seek God who has the power, ability, and knowledge to breakthrough for us, we cannot fail. We will find success. He is the God who breaks through for us.