3 Ways to Measure You are Building on the Right Foundation
One of the most important parts of a building is its foundation. The foundation of a building will determine its strength and longevity. Some parts of the foundation of a building is hidden, but if the foundation is faulty a lot of problems will be exposed. Planning and paying attention to details cannot be overlooked when it comes to the foundation. It’s very important to determine what kind of building you desire… two story, three story, sky rise, and then commit to what kind of foundation you need in order to build.
Jesus’ teaching is very clear and to the point about foundations. In just four verses He unveils a powerful truth that can bring ANYONE great success in life. He shares in Matthew 7:24-27, the foundation of a house will determine its ability to endure high winds, floods and storms that beat against it. There’s no “if’s” or “but’s” in the illustration of Jesus’ instruction. The house WILL stand or fall based on the foundation in which it is built upon.
I want to draw our attention to something a little more specific about the foundation. The entire foundation is important. But what is even more important is the very first element in the foundation. Architects, builders, carpenters, and masons refer to it as the cornerstone or chief cornerstone. If the very first brick, block or concrete measurement is off, the entire building will be out of square. One inch off at the foundation can show up half a foot off in the roof. Walls will be out of square, kitchen cabinets and counters will not fit right, tile flooring will be off.
Our life is like a building. Personal habits, family relationships, marriages, our spiritual life, our character, integrity, choices and beliefs. These are very important elements in our life and all of them are affected by our foundation. One major part of our foundation is our belief system. How we believe will determine our perspective and will sway our decisions in a certain direction. This is why the Scripture teaches us, the VERY FIRST “STONE” in our foundation must be Christ. Jesus Christ is our foundation. His life modeled before us, becomes our model. His teachings and character becomes our standard for living, behaviors and choices.
Paul affirms this truth in Ephesians 2:20-22, “built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. 21In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. 22And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.
Isaiah prophesied Christ would come as a proven, perfect cornerstone that one could build their life upon. “So this is what the Sovereign Lord says: ‘See, I lay a stone in Zion, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation; the one who relies on it will never be stricken with panic. 17I will make justice the measuring line and righteousness the plumb line;’” (Isaiah 28:16-17).
Peter quoted the Isaiah Scripture in 1 Peter 2:6, “For in Scripture it says: ‘See, I lay a stone in Zion, a chosen and precious cornerstone, and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame’”. Notice the emphasis on placing our trust in Christ is how we lay the foundation that will produce a life that we can be proud of.
TWO MEN, TWO BELIEFS, TWO DIFFERENT OUTCOMES
It would be wise for us to observe Christ’s teaching in Matthew 7:24-27:
- Two men have the desire and vision to build the same house.
- Two men hear the same truth.
- Two men have different beliefs and perspective how to build.
- Two men build on two different foundations.
- Two men face the same storm.
- Two men have completely different results from their effort and investment. One is destroyed and the other endures the storms.
3 Ways to Measure that You are Building on the Right Foundation.
- How much time, effort and attention do you give to your relationship with Christ? Christ must be the first foundation of your life. We invest in the things that we love and value. We love Christ, we desire His presence, we value His instruction; therefore, we will spend time in His Word and in conversation with Him.
- Before you take your “cues” or advice from anyone, do you look to Christ and His teachings are your model and pattern for your life? When it comes to ideology, preparing for life, dealing with relationships, decisions and behaviors… the culture will get it wrong, cool people will get it wrong, popular people will get it wrong, Christ NEVER gets it wrong. He is our model, template for our foundation.
- Check your cracks. Do you allow Christ to adjust your perspective? Do you allow Him to change your mind? Are you familiar with repentance, correction and reconciliation? NO ONE gets it right ALL the time. They are not that good. To keep our foundation from deteriorating and contamination we must allow Christ, the perfect foundation be our inspector. Place your foundation, beliefs, ideas up to Christ’s and compare it.
We can be confident that a foundation built on Christ, will endure tests, temptations and struggles. I know you will be happy with the outcome of your life, when Christ is your Chief Cornerstone.
David Shannon Wooten