How you can know God
God loves you and wants you to know Him in a personal way.
One of the most famous verses in the Bible expresses God’s love and desire to connect with people, “God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16 ESV).
- The life we now live is not the end. When we pass away from this life, we will live on for eternity. This life is preparation for where we will spend eternity. God allows us to make our own choice. Do we want to live with God or apart from God for the rest of eternity?
- God thinks you’re so valuable that he wants to spend eternity with you! The Bible says, “Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent” (John 17:3 NIV1984).
- God wrote the Bible to let us know how much He loves us; how He desires to have a relationship with us & He gives us instruction on how we can know Him. A God that would give his only Son, is displaying such an incredible love for you. We can know God by believing and accepting His Son, Jesus.
So how can we know God personally?
- We all have fallen short of God’s Glory. We all have sinned. We are not perfect. Romans 3:23 (NLT), “For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard.”
- It’s not like God said, “If you promise to stop sinning, then I’ll send my Son to die for you.” That’s not how it happened. God loves us so much that while we were sinning , He still gave His Son, Jesus for us. Our sin will cause death, but God has given us a way to have eternal life. We can escape the payment for our sin, by accepting that Jesus already paid the price for us by dying on the cross. When we accept Christ, we receive eternal life. Romans 5:8 (NLT), “But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners.” Romans 6:23 (NLT), “For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.”
- The only requirement to begin a relationship with God is to begin a relationship with His Son, Jesus. It is simply by truly believing in your heart, that Jesus is Lord, Savior. That Jesus loves you so much that He would die for you. Believe that truth and then confess with your words. Romans 10:9-10; Romans 10:13; Romans 10:17.
- Believe it, say it, pray it. Simply say these words as they are your own. If you believe, say them with conviction, passion and that is how you begin your relationship with Jesus. “Father, I believe in Your Son Jesus. I believe Jesus died for me. I believe He rose from the dead. I confess my sins to you. Forgive me. I give you my heart and life. I confess you as my Lord and Savior. I will live the rest of my life for you. In Jesus name, Amen.”
Your next step.
- Pray everyday. Read the Bible everyday. If you don’t have a Bible download a free version here. https://www.youversion.com
- Find a church family that believes and lives the ENTIRE Bible. Find a church that has Bible studies. That loves people and wants to see people grow in their relationship with Christ. Attend Sunday worship and small group Bible studies. Don’t stop being a disciple of Christ. Keep growing your relationship with God.
- When you find a church, tell them you want to grow in your faith and relationship with Christ and you want to be Baptized in water. Follow Jesus’ example.
- You can contact me and I will help you get connected with your next steps.